HSW Act 2015 s. 25 Notifiable Event
A New Approach!
You must notify WorkSafe NZ when certain work-related events (notifiable events) occur.
Under the HSW Act 2015, you will be required to:
- Notify as soon as possible, when a notifiable event occurs.
- Preserve the site until a WorkSafe Inspector arrives, or are otherwise directed.
- Keep records of all notifiable events.
What is a notifiable event? A notifiable event is a:
- Notifiable illness or injury (see HSW Act section 23), or
- Notifiable incident - (a serious incident) occurring as a result of work.
The very best advice on these matters can be found on the WorkSafe NZ website. WorkSafe NZ have provided a tool WorkSafe NZ Notifiable Events Tool that enables uses to find out when they will need to notify WorkSafe NZ. This tool, displayed in the graphic above, is very simple to use and provides information in a concise format.
NB: Click on the green hyperlink above to access the tool.
A notifiable incident (see HSW Act section 24) means an unplanned or uncontrolled incident in relation to a workplace that exposes a worker or any other person to a serious risk to that person's health or safety arising from an immediate or imminent exposure to (and there are 13 separate categories discussed).
View this article in Safety Bulletin 100